My top 5 healthy products
I often get asked about my favorite foods or products in the kitchen, why I love them and what the health benefits are. So I thought I would share my top 5 food items that my kitchen is never without!
They may seem boring and tasteless but they are anything but boring! These tiny but mighty seeds add so much nutrition and they help keep you full for longer!
- They are rich in soluble fiber, almost 5g in 1 tablespoon, so they help you balance your insulin levels, keep you full for longer and keep your digestion working!
- The fiber helps feed the good bacteria in your gut, so they aid in gut health
- They are rich in omega 3 fats; helping in reducing inflammation and keeping your skin elastic.
- So easy to include at every meal; I love to sprinkle some over my yogurt bowl in the morning, over salads or toast for lunch & use them a lot in my dessert recipes. I love Chia seed pudding too (check out my basic recipe here)! Another favorite trick is to add a tsp of chia in my water bottle and sip on it all day.
I start every morning with a glass of warm water and lemon and I do that even when traveling! These little citrus gems pack so much benefit:
- Rich in vitamin C & potassium- besides strengthening immunity; Vitamin C gives me that energy boost to start the day and potassium wakes up the brain & nerves.
- Vitamin C is also great for the skin and so is water- a daily glass of warm lemon water right in the morning hydrates your skin
- They aid digestion. A glass of lemon water right in the morning tricks the liver to release bile, which helps to move food easily down the gastrointestinal tract
- Lemons are also rich in pectin (types of fiber) that aid in weight loss by helping keeping you full for longer and fighting off those hunger pangs
- Lemons are also rich in other minerals like magnesium and phosphorus.
My ultimate gut healthy food. Loaded with probiotics and add so much punchy flavor to salads & as sides.
- Sauerkraut has over 25 strains of healthy bacteria or probiotics that snug into our gut and keep it healthy
- It’s so easy to make at home and you can add the spices you like so it tastes different every time. My go to spices are turmeric & cumin -packed with antioxidants.
- Probiotics help with digestion, immunity, clearing the skin and supporting weight loss.
Come on guys.. you didn’t think my top 5 would pass without a mention of AVO.. I mean Avo-lovin´, Avo-cuddles and all those terms weren’t created out of nowhere! Hands down my ultimate favorite healthy fat
- This fruit (yes it is scientifically a fruit ) is incredibly nutritious & packed with vitamins such as Vitamin K, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6 & B5
- Avocado is one of the richest sources of potassium which helps to regulate our body’s electrolytes & blood pressure. It’s also highly needed when you workout to help muscles recover
- One of the best sources of healthy fats, oleic acid which protects the heart & reduces inflammation in the body. It’s also the healthiest oil to cook in- making Avocado oil a perfect partner in your cooking
- Keeps your skin young & moist- with such high healthy fat and vitamin E- 2 super nutrients for supple young skin
- Rich in soluble fiber that helps regulate blood sugar, keeps you feeling full for longer and feeds healthy bacteria in your gut
I’m a flexitarian which means I eat veggies & plant based foods on most days of the week. On days when I include animal products, grass-fed organic eggs are a must!
- Best go-to for complete protein- it’s a great post-workout food to ensure your muscles have the protein needed
- The yolk is my fave part- contrary to what most people do – I actually eat eggs for the yolk! It is packed with healthy fats
- Egg yolk is a natural source of vitamin D which we all need more of especially in winter days or when we see less sunshine
- Eggs are the main source of choline, a powerful nutrient that boosts brain function & mood.
- My favorite way to have eggs is sunny side up or poached with a runny yolk -YUM!